Saturday 11 January 2014

Things I should have blogged about in 2013

I find that sometimes time gets away from me and although I've done some crafting and even got photos taken I don't get round to blogging about it so here's a bumper post of all the things I should have blogged about in 2013 with a vow to try blog on time about things in future. 

 I took part in the village craft and produce show again entering seven categories. First was greeting card, I did a Christmas card in the stepper style grey base card was scored and folded to create three levels which I decorated using stampin up stamp sets lovely as a tree and Christmas deer, I used silver and white embossing powers to make the images really stand out against the grey. I enclosed all this in a folded piece of acetate with has a random white dot pattern on it emulating snow. I finished the front off with a silver Merry Christmas sticker.  This won second place.
This is my entry for the bookmark category Its quite a simple thing a couple layers of rectangular card and then decorated with punched out circles of patterned paper and stamps. the top has an added tag and the bottom a decorative piece of card with ribbon. This didn't place and was done more as a filler entry.  
 My entry for the photography category a Lincolnshire scene. A photo taken down the coast abit while on a picnic with friends I was always pleased with the contrast between the sky, clouds, grass and sand and was even more pleased when it won first prize.
My first crochet blanket entered in to a stitched item,  I did have other plans for this category but time got away from me as usual so I just popped this in, it didn't place as there were many far superior entries , there's some very talented sewers and quilters around here.
My entry in to flora arrangement, a modern style arrangement of blooms, orchids, bamboo and fatsia leaves. I love the big bold blooms in my favorite green colour and the exotic orchids and the flow they create worked on to the chicken wire, framed by the glossy leaves. this was very well admired and won first place.
This was a fun entry of garden on a dinner plate, unfortunately this category didn't have many entries, but I'm still rather pleased with my carnation sheep,  sedum bushes, daises created with tiny pieces of September flower. A cute little arrangement that got me second place.
 And my last entry one for the food categories, three cookies on a plate. I did my signature chocolate chip they don't look overly impressive but have a brill taste. They got me another second place.
Quick snap of my little certificates all in all a very good show and pleased with my haul of prizes. 











 I should have also done a post about my second crochet blanket, this was a commission from a friend of my grandma who saw the first one I had done and jokingly said, do you think she would miss it that would be lovely for sitting with in the winter so I said I could do her one if she would like. The lady likes alot of colour but I'm quite pleased with the end result, I did one chain stitch instead of two between each treble block and think I picked up my 3.5mm hook instead of my 4mm hook resulting in slightly smaller squares than the first blanket but a neater finish. In a bid to get this finished before it got too
cold I was working on these little squares every where including a scout training weekend which got me some funny looks but admiration of my spare time being put to good use. 









Baking exploits, throughout the year in general there probably  should have been most posts about my baking but often the items were consumed before I had chance to photograph and blog.
Any here's some pictures the first one is of some cupcakes I made to give out to my choir ladies as our practice night fell on my birthday. They are taken out of a craft magazine, and have a rich flavour as they include, orange juice, golden syrup and treacle, and various spices, the frosting is made with full fat soft cheese icing sugar and lemon, I decorated them with sprinkles that looked like little gingerbread men and they went down really well with everyone. The recipe was abit of a faff, lots of measure this stir this melt that but the end result is worth it.  
 This quick snap is of a cake I made for the birthday of my other half's grannie. Just a plain jam sponge but I was rather pleased with my decorative birthday banner on the top of it.
Also in baking news last year a purchased a cool silicon mould from Lakeland. It makes buttons !! and can be used for icing or chocolate. I look forward to using it to decorate many cakes, this batch of chocolate buttons just got eaten though. 








My last picture is of some adorable felt houses I made for Christmas decorations. These are all hand stitched and really enjoyed designing and making them and think I will be making more felt decorations throughout this year. These a finished off with gingham hanging loops and patterned buttons. I sold them in the shop and were a big hit. 






So there you go a few crafting things from 2013 tidied up before we start another year of creative craft makes. My Sister is getting wed this year so will be doing a blog post wedding of all the creative bits and pieces I've been helping her with, look forward to that. Happy Crafting 2014. 

1 comment:

  1. You are clearly very creative and very talented! I'm enjoying your creations.

    ReplyDelete